Teeth Whitening in Santa Monica, CA
Proper brushing and flossing everyday can help to keep your smile white and bright. But often times, this is not enough to maintain the sparkle in the long-term. Factors such as aging, consuming colored foods and drinks, and lifestyle habits such as chewing or smoking tobacco can cause your teeth to get darker.
Why Your Teeth Change Color
There are many reasons why only a few people have impeccably white teeth, including:
- Age – tooth enamel is naturally white, but it thins over time due to normal wear, allowing the yellowish dentin to show
- Fluorosis – teeth darkening due to excessive fluoride consumption
- Food and drink – tea, coffee, red wine, and other food items contain intense color pigments known as chromogens that bond to tooth enamel, causing discoloration
- Tobacco use – chewing and smoking tobacco exposes you to two chemicals responsible for creating stubborn stains: nicotine and tar
- Illness – early tooth decay or illness during tooth development can also cause spots on your teeth
- Medications – tooth discoloration can be a side effect of taking certain medication, like antihistamines and antipsychotics. Fetuses and babies may also be at risk of tooth discoloration of the adult teeth if exposed to antibiotics like doxycycline and tetracycline.
- Calculus – accumulated plaque can also reduce the sparkle of your teeth
Dr. Nima Mashkouri, DMD of Paradise Dental offers a non-invasive laser teeth whitening treatment in Santa Monica and surrounding cities including West Los Angeles, Westside, Venice, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Mar Vista, Culver City, & more.